Header Ads

Drama as EACC officers arrest traffic cops near Witeithie.

The footbridge along Thika Super highway near Mang'u High School that is just a few metres away from where the traffic police officers were nabbed by EACC detectives.
There was pandemonium next to the Witeithie Estate Bridge along the busy Thika-Nairobi Superhighway on Thursday morning as EACC detectives arrested six traffic police officers for allegedly taking bribes.

The officers, believed to be from Thika Police Station, put up a spirited fight to avoid arrest in the 9am incident.

According to eyewitnesses, five officers including, one of them a female, were first apprehended by the anti-corruption officers but some quick response from their colleagues team from Thika managed  to secure the escape of two of them  who included the female cop. Another female police managed to escape in the ensuing confusion that attracted local residents at the scene.

Two of those who escaped left behind their caps and badges in the incident.

The EACC officers were forced to fire several shots in the air to disperse the officers who were very determined to rescue the remaining colleagues.

There are reports that some rowdy youths took advantage of the melee to break into a cash-in-transit vehicle and stole an unknown amount of money. The vehicle had been forced to stop during the confrontation.

After the operation, the EACC officers sped off as more police officers arrived to help their colleagues.

Confirming the incident, EACC Deputy CEO Michael Mubea said that his officers recovered KES. 10,000 from the officers which he said would be used as evidence against them in court.

“The money will be presented in court as evidence. We are pleading with members of the public to work with us to ensure we end corruption in the police service,” he said.

It is alleged that a traffic police in a bike unsuccessfully attempted to lure truck drivers to block the highway so that the EACC officers do not leave with the suspects.

Motorists who spoke to Thika Town Today after the incident said that the move had been long overdue.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.