Header Ads

Bodaboda Rider Stabbed To Death While Fighting Over Campaign Money.

Grief-stricken relatives of  Mwaniki Chira who was stabbed to death after a quarrel over sh. 200 campaign money on Tuesday. The suspect is still at large.
A 29-year-old man was on Tuesday night stabbed to death when a fight broke out over Sh. 200 campaign money.

Bianjo Mwaniki Chira, 29, was allegedly stabbed three times by his neighbour after the two reportedly failed to agree on how to share out Sh. 200 they earned after a day’s campaign work.

Mwaniki, a bodaboda rider from Thiha Village in Mukurwe-ini, Nyeri County and the assailant had spent the day hanging posters of an aspirant for a county assembly (MCA) seat, the two were part of a bodaboda campaign team hired by the aspirant ahead of Jubilee Party primaries to be held in April.

It is alleged that on the night of the attack, the two were having drinks at a local bar, barely 100 metres away from home, when a quarrel ensued between four men who accused the assailant, Samuel Waithaka, of swindling them of Sh. 200.

“They were fighting over campaign money they had received via M-Pesa. He beat four people and then left shouting, “Leo mtajua mimi ni mwanamume,” (Today you will know that I am a man),” said a friend of the deceased who declined to be named.

Waithaka is said to have attacked three other men before turning to the deceased with a punch. He is said to have left the bar at around midnight heading home but was followed by the deceased and a brother back to his house.

According to Jackson Chira the father of the deceased, Mwaniki and his brother wanted to confront Waithaka on why had turned violent against them yet they worked together.

“They were very angry and were demanding to know why he attacked them so they followed him to his house. His brother told us that they found him holding a knife and threatened to stab them if they did not leave,” said the father.

It was during the confrontation that the suspect is said to have stabbed Mwaniki in the abdomen, chest and head before running away.

The deceased’s wife, Ms. Ruth Wanjiru and his father, rushed to the scene after hearing screams. 

Attempts to save the father of two were futile as he bled to death.

Mukurwe-ini Divisional Police Commander Issa Mohammud confirmed the incident, saying that a man who lived with the suspect has been arrested.

“We understand the fight was over campaign money but we are still gathering more information. The suspect fled but we are holding a close acquaintance of his who is helping us with the investigations,” said Mohammud.

The police boss also noted that an alert had been placed on the suspect and a manhunt is still ongoing.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.