Header Ads

Passenger transport paralysed for hours over bodaboda-Kenya Mpya standoff.

Confusion at the main Thika terminus after angry bodaboda operators attacked Kenya Mpya buses accusing one of their buses of hitting and killing a rider on Friday night along Kenyatta Highway. 
Commuter transport was paralysed for hours in Thika town on Saturday after bodaboda operators fought Kenya Mpya bus crew over last night incident where a rider was hit and killed by one of the fleet buses.

The standoff between left passengers using Kenya Mpya buses to or from Nairobi stranded as police were called in to disperse angry bodaboda operators who had started attacking the buses along the Thika-Garissa Highway near the Gatitu junction.

There was pandemonium at the main terminus when the riders struck, hurling stones and other objects at the buses, in total disregard to the safety of the passengers inside. At one instance, the driver to one of the buses had to speed off dangerously with his passengers out of the terminus to escape the wrath of the bodaboda operators who threatened dire consequences on the bus crew. 

“These buses have become too much now,” said one of the bodaboda riders at the Thika main bus terminus when they stopped the buses from ferrying passengers.

“One of their buses hit and killed a bodaboda rider last night near the Bible Fellowship Church and instead of checking on his condition, the driver sped off. Today we have vowed that none of these Kenya Mpya buses will carry any passenger,” he added.

After a while, the bodaboda operators sped off on their bikes to the highway and started stoning any Kenya Mpya on sight. Police had to be called in to restore calm and disperse the bodaboda riders.

In the ensuing melee, other bus companies took advantage of the situation to hike fares to Nairobi. 
Chania Bus Sacco was charging KES. 80 as opposed to their usual price of KES. 40 while Nissan matatus charged between KES. 100 and 150.

Later on in the afternoon calm was restored and the Kenya Mpya buses were allowed to ferry passengers at KES. 50.

Efforts to get a response from the Kenya Mpya staff managing their office at the main terminus were fruitless as he was said to have fled for fear of attack.    

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.